WHAT IS NEW WITH HID BULBS?
Effective January 1, 2009 lighting fixtures manufactured for operation of metal halide lamps greater than 150 W but less than 500 W must contain:
Minimum Ballast Efficiency
- Pulse-start Metal Halide Ballast = 88%
- Magnetic Probe-start Ballast = 94%
- Electronic Ballast (not pulse-start) = 90% if <250W or 92% if >250.
- Fixtures with regulated leg ballasts
- Fixtures that use electronic ballasts that operate at 480V
- Fixtures rated only for 150 W lamps, for use in wet locations, and contain ballast rated to operate at ambient are temperatures above 50 degrees Celsius.
Mercury vapor ballasts have been discontinued.