HID Light Bulb Components
- Base is one of the main components of a HID lamp. It serves as the electrical contact.
- The stem serves as the passageway to the mount.
- Arc Tube is a capsule that gets filled with gas which the electric arc passes through.
- The electrical leads bring the current toward the arc tube.
- Tungsten Electrodes is the lamp base that serves as the electrical contact.
- Outer Bulb made of heat resistant glass, maintains a constant temperature within the lamp and serves as extra protection for the arc tube while absorbing UV radiation emitted from the arc.
- Main difference in HID lamp components is the composition Mercury Vapor Arc Tube.
- Metal Halide lamps are the most efficient light in the HID family.
- High pressure sodium lamps use mercury and sodium vapors which create a yellow tone light.